Wednesday, February 28, 2007

My Dreams vs. His Vision

Anyone who has a child that is any less than the picture of "perfect health" can tell you how hard it can be at times but yet a gift beyond compare. That is what Sam is. He has taught us so much and I'm sure will continue to do so. Sometimes, well most of the time, I feel so inadequate and unable to help him. One thing that the Lord has told me is that I have to let go of is my dream of him being just like other children. No stares, no health issues,etc...Just a child who will fit in. You know that phrase,"Let go and let God." Maybe my hopes and plans for Sam are way smaller than what He has in store for Him. I know that they are. God has put 2 other women in our small group that have gone through what we are now going through. One woman, Kim, has been such a huge inspiration to me. She is ALWAYS loving on Sam and telling me how beautiful he is. She studies up on things for Sam. Well, her 30 year old son lives with her and has muscular dystrophy. He was diagnosed in early childhood and is progressively getting worse. He is now having trouble swallowing. She will tell you how bitter she had become(there were other circumstances,too) She had nothing to do with God. This past year she and her son moved to NC to be near her daughter who was attending our church. God has since changed her life. I'm not kidding when I say that she literally glows. Her son has so many problems way worse than any Sam has ever faced yet she continually looks out for Sam. It's little things like this that I know that God is telling me that He knows and He cares and Sam is in His control. Lord, help me to replace my vision for Sam's life and see the vision that you have for Him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I can look back at my life 10 years ago, and tell what I "thought" MY plan was and where I am now and know that God has a different and yet BETTER plan in my life. You have to trust him with your heart mind and soul and know that he doesnt put anything in your path that you cannot handle. I am so glad he had a different plan for me than I thought I had for me.

Your Cousin Rob in Florida

Melanie said...

Thanks, Rob, for your encouragement. It is definitely comforting to know that God has such an awesome plan for each one of us.

sabrina said...

Hey Melanie
It is nap time right now and my house is silent.... a taste of heaven. It is awesome to read about all God is doing in you and Jeff's life. Yall have been SO blessed! 4 amazing kids. I can just picture yall still laughing all the time together... just like at CCC. your family is beautiful! love sabrina

Sam-1 week

Sam-1 week

Sam @ 5 months

Sam @ 5 months

May 2006

May 2006
Night Before Sam's Surgery

July 2006

July 2006
Two months surgery